Saturday, October 9, 2010

My Superhero Vest

Today was my second day at the Red Cross and I have completely fallen in love with it. Hours fly by, but I'm not just wasting time. Everything is being done with a purpose, the point is to help those less fortunate. I can't say I have an epic story of going to a different country and feeding a child, but I know that I am helping that happen. I wanted from the beginning to do disaster services, be my own superhero in a way, but nothing is ever that easy. You have to take courses in order for them to send you, which all in all makes sense. I can see myself running to help someone hurt, but having no idea on how to do it is not the best idea. The image of me with my Red Cross vest trying to help people is stuck in mind as something I want to do. I want to help people physically and mentally because the scars that you can't see are the ones that hurt the most. For now it seems like paper work and fundraising is what I'll be doing for a little while. One of the best parts are the people that I'm meeting that have been doing this for you, even when they talk you can tell they care and want to pass that on to others. College is stress stress stress, but volunteering and getting my side of the story out there to the rest of the world, is therapeutic.

No comments:

Post a Comment